Friday, January 23, 2009

Goodbye, America!

So, it's around 12:30am on January 23. I'll head to the airport in about 7 hours or so, at which point I'll say goodbye to my parents. We're stopping in Washington DC before flying to Beijing, and there will probably be a layover. When we board that second plane, it will be a mere 14 hours before we're in China. It's all very strange.

Although I can't say I'm excited for the longest flight of my life (both literally and figuratively), I am definitely excited for what will happen when the flight is over. I will be in China, a land I have wanted to go to all my life, and I'll be there for a long time.

These last few weeks, everyone has asked me if I'm excited. Of course, I say, why wouldn't I be? But the truth is, there are several emotions pulsating through my veins. Excitement, apprehension, anxiety, and nervousness to name a few. I am worried I will miss my friends and family, and the comfort that comes with my routine in Newton. But the greater truth is that while I feel all these emotions, at the same time they all make me even more excited to leave. I know it will be an amazing experience, and I think that's what's driving me to feel all these things. So, in just a few short hours, I will board that plane, and when I do, I will leave behind not only my friends and family, but also the comfort of home. And that scares me. But it also is exhilarating, and I can't wait. I am going to try to catch a few hours of sleep now, and then I'll be on my way. The next post I make here will be written in China. Goodbye everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment