Monday, January 26, 2009

Chinese New Year



For the New Year, I drove down to Shangdong province with my host family. The drive was about 5 hours long, but I don't know where exactly within the province I am. We arrived at my brother's grandparent's house. Everyone is very nice and hospitable. The way they show you their hospitality is by shoving food onto your plate. It's very nice, but eventually I can't eat anymore, but I feel bad so I take a bit extra.


These are some pictures of the fireworks we lit for the Chinese New Year. Everyone lights their own fireworks and everywhere all you hear are loud banging noises. There are several different types of fireworks, from these kinds here, to these long sticks that shoot out flaming things, to cylindrical boxes that shoot out the kind of fireworks they have in America on July 4. 


Here's the feast we had for the new year. The only things I recognized were shrimp and strawberries. I'm still getting used to real Chinese food. It's not as sweet as American food.

Oh, and I forgot to mention before that I can see the whole blog, so feel free to post comments directly on the blog. If this changes, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment